4.19.2006

Carrot Cake Nests

For these Easter cakes I used the Tropical Carrot Cake recipe (down on this page a bit), which is an alteration of Magnolia Bakery's carrot cake recipe. For the frosting I made a batch of cream cheese frosting (2 pkgs lowfat cream cheese, 1 stick unsalted butter, confectioner sugar to taste) with a little vanilla and cinnamon added to it. I then toasted coconut in the toaster oven, dumped it in a bowl, and dipped the frosted cupcakes into the bowl of coconut. I topped them with blue peep chicks and blue candy eggs.

6 comments:

valentina said...

They look gorgeous Posy.

Posy said...

Thank you. Really, this is quite a compliment coming from you. I love your blog(s). Love it.

thechamp said...

i tried the tropical carrot recipe and it didn't work for me at all. in the oven for an hour (yes, an hour) the center is still gooey wet and the outside is looking pretty overdone. Did you squeeze dry the crushed pineapple? Batter didn't seem unusually wet. maybe oven spacing...

Posy said...

I know we just spoke on the phone but I'm going to reply anyway. Not really being an expert, I don't know why yours didn't work. I've taken the addition of pineapple juice out of the recipe. I like them moist, but haven't had the not-cooked problem. I've decreased the carrots to what Magnolia recommends too. Hmmm... Maybe our ovens are different? They've been hugely successful when I've made them. They do seem gooey/sticky because of all the good stuff inside, but never uncooked. I dunno. Sorry.

maverick said...

Hello,
Great blog...it sounds like your trying to get a handle on things and that is great! Gotta go, I'm looking for a baby cakes for a baby shower I'm going to and I don't know where I'm going to find it. Guess I'll check out www.diapergifts.combaby cakes, I've heard that is a good place to start.

maverick said...

Hello,
Great blog...it sounds like your trying to get a handle on things and that is great! Gotta go, I'm looking for a diaper cake for a baby shower I'm going to and I don't know where I'm going to find it. Guess I'll check out www.diapergifts.comdiaper cake, I've heard that is a good place to start.