6.22.2006

1st Birthday Cakes

A very very special boy turned 1 last week and in celebration I made Magnolia's Vanilla-Vanilla cakes (recipe at the very bottom of the blog, my first post) and a fudgey chocolate cake ("recipe" below). I was a little tired while baking and somehow ended up with all self-rising flour instead of the 1/2 1/2 Magnolia calls for. I panicked while the cakes were in the oven, expecting them to explode in some way. But in the end they came out tasting as delish as they always do. I served them at the fancy party and got lots of compliments. So I guess you can use all SR flour in a pinch and be fine. Hmm...


For the chocolate I cheated. I bought a box of Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge cake mix. But I didn't really follow the directions (I'm not so good at doing what I'm told). I substituted buttermilk for the water, butter for the oil, and added a package of Devil's Food flavored instant pudding. I topped them with the Magnolia Vanilla Buttercream and red candy-melt stars (how-to a few posts down, with blue stars), and sprinkles of course!

The kids (big and small) went crazy for these Party Cakes. I was even told that "Saint Cupcakes has nothing on [me]!" from a family who had been raving about SC before mine were served (and I didn't even let on that I thought their cakes were bland and oily). Another smashing success, but I was just pleased that the boy liked them (see post below).

No comments: